Events are listed by date beginning with the most recent . . .
Senior Services of Alexandria presents: Staying Connected in Your Community
Thursday, February 14, 2019, 10:00 a.m.-Noon (Registration at 9:30)
Where? Westminster Presbyterian Church
2701 Cameron Mills Road, Alexandria, VA
Come find out all the ways to get connected in the city of Alexandria to meet new friends, learn about its history and get involved!
There will be representatives from:
– Volunteer Alexandria
– Office of Historic Alexandria
– No. VA Community College
– City of Alexandria’s Office of Public Information
This event is free and open the public. Refreshments will be provided.
Please RSVP online at www.seniorservicesalex.org or by calling (703) 836 4414 ext. 110.
Parkinson’s Awareness Month – out of town events
April is Parkinson’s Awareness Month and information about events are starting to appear in my inbox. I thought I’d share these two with you so if you’re interested, you can save the dates on your calendar.
1) The Parkinson’s Unity Walk takes place in New York City’s Central Park every year. The 25th walk will be on Saturday, April 27, 2019. Click here for more info. (If you watch the video from last year you might see a couple of familiar faces – time 2:02)
2) The APDA Hampton Roads 2019 Optimism Walk at Neptune Park (31st and the Boardwalk) Virginia Beach is on Saturday, April 13, 2019; 9am to Noon. For details on setting up your team or joining one, call 757-495-3062 or check out www.APDAParkinson.org/va.
3) 2019 Parkinson’s Disease Community Seminar presented by the Four State Alliance for Parkinson’s Support and the Otterbein United Methodist Church on Friday, April 12, 2019 9:00 am – 4:00 pm in Hagerstown MD.
4SAPS Group Members are from: Hagerstown, MD • Frederick, MD (Two Groups) • Cumberland, MD • Mechanicsburg, PA • Gettysburg, PA • New Oxford, PA • Chambersburg, PA • Winchester, VA
Click here to view their flyer for more information. Please share this information with friends and family who live in or near this area.
What’s New at Insight Memory Care Center?
Insight Memory Care Center always has interesting workshops and classes that are specifically designed to assist family caregivers on a variety of topics. Check out their Events page by clicking here to see what’s happening soon.
Events available online
*Update 1/30/19* Dance for PD® has released it’s streamed class this month. Anyone can join these classes from the comfort of their home!
This particular two class is taught by Janelle Barry. Click here to view and participate in Janelle’s class.
There’s a new class available every month, usually with a different teacher, too. To check out their archive and keep on movin’ to the music click here.
Dance for PD is coming to town for it’s annual visit!
Saturday, March 2, 2019
11:00 am – 12:15 pm
Where? Hylton Performing Arts Center
10960 George Mason Circle, Manassas, VA 20109
There’s always a buzz when the Mark Morris Dance Group and Dance for PD comes to town! Come and join in their free movement class for person’s with Parkinson’s and their families, friends and care partners. No dance experience is required. Led by teaching artists from the Mark Morris Dance Group, you’ll explore movement and music in a non-pressured, social environment.
I haven’t had a chance to attend yet, but I always hear about what a wonderful time people had. Every month I post their latest streamed class in Out & About and on our website so if you’d like to get an idea of what a class is like, click here.
But wait! There’s more!
The Mark Morris Dance Group will also be performing at George Mason University’s Center for the Arts Concert Hall in Fairfax for 2 performances only, March 1 and 2 at 8:00 pm. For more information and tickets, visit http://cfa.gmu.edu/ or call 703-993-2787.