Services for Older Adults
Fairfax County offers so many programs and services for it’s residents and this webpage is a good place to start when you have questions about issues that affect you as you grow older, or if you are living with a chronic illness or disability.
Some of the information and services they provide:
- Home modification and repair
- In-home care
- Medicare and Insurance Counseling (VICAP)
- Senior employment and housing
- Chronic Disease Management Program
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program
- Elderlink – Provides affordable care management as well as free consultations for caregivers with a social worker.
- Golden Gazette – A free monthly newsletter covering local news of interest to older adults
- Caregiver’s Corner Online – An online newsletter produced by the Fairfax Family Caregiver Support Program staff that includes news, resources and events.
Area Agency on Aging – Provides information and services for older adults in Loudoun County.
Commonwealth of Virginia
United States Government
Parkinson’s Disease Benefits for Veterans
The first place to start would be the Parkinson’s Disease Research, Education and Clinical Centers (PADRECC) under the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
The following was contributed by one of our friends with the Fair Oaks support group:
“The Veterans Administration provides support in many areas. Unfortunately, a large portion of these resources are unutilized simply because people don’t request them.
Recently, a member of our group began receiving a significant amount of VA support as a result of contacts made during the war in Vietnam. The support was available for several years but was never requested until recently. It is recommended that anyone who served in the military contact the VA to find out their eligibility for any type of support.
The central Veterans Administration central telephone number is 202 – 745 – 8000; then follow the prompts. It’s all very easy.”
If you have experience navigating the process to become eligible for benefits, we would appreciate your sharing it with us in the hopes that it might make life easier for someone else. Click here to contact us.