Our thanks go to Angela Robb for creating and sharing this list with us.
DISCLAIMER: This compilation of books is by no means an endorsement.
Books written by people living with Parkinson’s disease
or by Parkinson’s disease carepartners/caregivers.
- A Handbook for Life by Richard London, iUniverse, 2010
- A Life Shaken: My Encounter with Parkinson’s Disease by Joel Havemann, Stephen G. Reich (Foreword), 2004
- A Soft Voice in a Noisy World: A Guide to Dealing and Healing with Parkinson’s Disease by Karl Robb. RobbWorks, 2012
- A Parkinson’s Primer: An Indispensable Guide to Parkinson’s Disease for Patients and Their Families by John Vine. Paul Dry Books, 2017
- Both Sides Now: A Journey From Researcher to Patient by Dr. Alice Lazzarini, Createspace, 2014
- Brain Storms: The Race to Unlock the Mysteries of Parkinson’s Disease by Jon Palfreman, Scientific America, 2015
- Caring with Courage and Compassion by Susan Hamburger. Parkinson Foundation of the National Capitol Area, 2010.
- Dealing and Healing with Parkinson’s Disease and Other Health Conditions: A Workbook for Body, Mind and Spirit by Karl and Angela Robb; RobbWorks LLC, 2016
- If I Can Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, Why Can’t I Brush My Teeth?: Courage, Tenacity and Love Meet Parkinson’s Disease by Nan Little, CreateSpace, 2015.
- HOPE: Four Keys to a Better Quality of Life for Parkinson’s People by Hal Newsom. Mercer Island, WA: The Northwest Parkinson’s Foundation, 2002.
- Life in the Balance: A Physician’s Memoir of Life, Love, and Loss with Parkinson’s Disease and Dementia by Thomas Graboys MD, Peter Zheutlin ; Union Square Press, 2008.
- Living Well, Running Hard: Lessons Learned from Living with Parkinson’s Disease by John Ball. iUniverse.com, 2011.
- Living Well with Parkinson’s Disease: What Your Doctor Doesn’t Tell You . . . that You Need to Know by Michael J. Church and Gretchen Garie. HarperCollins Publishers, 2012.
- Living with Lewy Body Dementia: One Caregiver’s Personal, In-Depth Experience by Judy Towne Jennings, WestBowPress, 2012.
- Life with a Battery-Operated Brain: A Patient’s Guide to Deep Brain Stimulation Surgery for Parkinson’s Disease by Jackie Hunt Christiensen. Minneapolis, MN.: Langdon Street Press, 2009.
- Parkinson’s Diva – A Woman’s Guide to Parkinson’s Disease by Maria De Leon, thewordverve inc, 2015
- The Peripatetic Pursuit of Parkinson Disease by The Parkinsons Creative Collective, The Parkinsons Creative Collective, Inc.; 2013.
- Saving Milly: Love, Politics, and Parkinson’s Disease by Morton Kondracke. New York, N.Y.: Ballantine Books, 2002.
- SHAKIN’ Not STIRRED: Finding Perseverance Through Parkinson’s by David Chedester, AuthorHouse; 2012.
- Shuffle: A Way Forward, Whatever the Challenge by Wendall Woodall; Highway 51 Publishing. 2014
- Surviving Adversity: Living with Parkinson’s Disease by Gord Carley Surviving Adversity, 2007.
- Take Charge of Parkinson’s Disease: Dynamic Lifestyle Changes to Put YOU in the Driver’s Seat (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness) by Anne Cutter Mikkelsen (Author), Carolyn Stinson (Contributor); DiaMedica, 2011.
- Team Cul de Sac: Cartoonists Draw the Line at Parkinson’s by Chris Sparks (Editor); Andrews McMeel Publishing, 2012
- Tenacity: A Memoir by Dr. Jonathan Lessin; CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2015
- The First Year—Parkinson’s Disease: An Essential Guide for the Newly Diagnosed by Jackie Hunt Christiensen. New York, N.Y.: Marlowe & Company, 2005.
- Understanding Parkinson’s Disease: A Personal and Professional View by Richard B. Rosenbaum M.D. (Author); Praeger, 2006
- What’s Shakin’: An Insider’s Look at the Humorous Side of Parkinson’s Disease by John Brissette. IUniverse, 2007.
- WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY: Living with the reality of Parkinson’s and the threat of dementia by Kirk Hall; SmashWords, 2014.
- Yoga and Parkinson’s Disease: A Journey to Health and Healing by Peggy Van Hulsteyn; Demos Health, 2013.
- You Wake Me Each Morning: 2010 Edition by Connie Lawn, iUniverse.com, 2010.
Children’s books about Parkinson’s
Either written by those living with Parkinson’s or family members of those living with Parkinson’s disease.
- Carson and His Shaky Paws Grampa by Kirk Hall; Innovo Publishing LLC; 2011
- Carina and Her Care Partner Gramma by Kirk Hall, Innovo Publishing LLC, 2013
- I’ll Hold Your Hand So You Won’t Fall: A Child’s Guide to Parkinson’s Disease by Rasheda Ali (Author); Merit Publishing Int’l, 2010
- My Grandpa Has Parkinson’s by Margot Grant Evans; Vantage Press, 2006
- My GrandPa’s Shaky Hands by Dr. Soania Mathur; CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2014
- WHO IS PEE DEE? Explaining Parkinson’s Disease To A Child by Kay Mixson Jenkins. UCB, 2008
Books on Parkinson’s disease
written by Medical professional/Allied Health Professionals
- Alter Your Course: Parkinson’s – The Early Years (Movement & Neuroperformance Center Empowerment Series) (Volume 1) by Monique L Giroux MD (Author), Sierra M Farris PA-C (Author); CreateSpace, 2014
- Ask the Doctor About Parkinson’s Disease by Michael S. Okun MD (Author), Hubert H. Fernandez MD (Author); Demos Health, 2009
- DBS A Patient Guide to Deep Brain Stimulation by Sierra M. Farris PA-C (Author), Monique L. Giroux MD (Author); CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2013
- Delay the Disease: Exercise and PD by David Zid, A.C.E., A.C.G. and Jackie Russell, R.N., B.S.N., C.N.O.R. David Zid, 2007.
- Dementia with Lewy Bodies and Parkinson’s Disease Dementia: Patient, Family, and Clinician Working Together for Better Outcomes by J. Eric Ahlskog (Author); Oxford University Press, 2013
- Eat Well, Stay Well With Parkinson’s disease by Kathrynne Holden (M.S., R.D.), Kathrynne; Five Star Living Inc, 1998
- Every Victory Counts – Third Edition by Monique Giroux MD and Sierra Farris, PA-C MPAS, Davis Phinney Foundation for Parkinson’s, 2014.
- Making the Connection Between Brain and Behavior: Coping with Parkinson’s Disease Second Edition: by Joseph Friedman MD. New York, N.Y.: Demos Medical Publishing, 2013.
- Natural Therapies for Parkinson’s Disease by Dr. Laurie Mischley, Coffeetown Press, 2009
- Navigating Life with Parkinson Disease (Neurology Now Books by Sotirios Parashos (Author), Rose Wichmann (Author), Todd Melby (Contributor), Oxford University Press; 2012
- Non-Motor Symptoms of Parkinson’s Disease by K. Ray Chaudhuri (Editor), Eduardo Tolosa (Editor), Anthony H. V. Schapira (Editor), Werner Poewe (Editor); Oxford University Press, 2014
- Optimal Health with Parkinson’s Disease: A Guide to Integrating Lifestyle, Alternative, and Conventional Medicine by Monique L. Giroux MD, Demos Health, 2015
- Parkinson’s Disease: A Complete Guide for Patients and Families (A Johns Hopkins Press Health Book) by William J. Weiner (Author), Lisa M. Shulman (Author), Anthony E. Lang (Author), The John’s Hopkins University Press, 2013
- Parkinson’s Disease and the Art of Moving by John Argue. New Harbinger Publications, 2000.
- Parkinson’s Disease For Dummies by Michele Tagliati (Author), Gary Guten (Author), Jo Horne (Author); For Dummies, 2007
- Parkinson’s Treatment: 10 Secrets to a Happier Life: English Edition by Michael S Okun MD, CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform; 2013
- The Parkinson’s Disease Treatment Book: Partnering with Your Doctor to Get the Most from Your Medications by J. Eric Ahlskog; Oxford University Press, 2005
- What Your Doctor May Not Tell You about Parkinson’s Disease: A Holistic Program for Optimal Wellness by Jill Marjama-Lyons MD, Warner Books, 2003.